Medicare Benefits: The Different Parts of Medicare
Medicare is health insurance for people age 65 or older, under 65 with certain disabilities, and any age with End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD). ESRD is permanent kidney failure requiring dialysis or a kidney transplant. The different parts of Medicare help cover specific services if you meet certain conditions.
Medicare Part A
- Helps cover inpatient care in hospitals (includes critical access hospitals, inpatient rehabilitation facilities, and long-term care hospitals).
- Helps cover skilled nursing facility (not custodial or long-term care), hospice, and home health care services.
Medicare Part B
- Helps cover doctor services and outpatient care.
- Helps cover some preventive services to help maintain a person’s health and to keep certain illnesses from getting worse.
- Generally pays 80% of the Medicare-approved amount for covered services.
Medicare Part C
(Medicare Advantage Plans)
- A way to get Medicare benefits through private companies approved by and under contract with Medicare.
- Includes Part A, Part B, and usually other benefits Medicare doesn’t cover. Most plans also provide prescription drug coverage.
Medicare Part D
(Prescription Drug Coverage)
- Run by private companies approved by Medicare, which can either be Medicare Advantage Plans or separate Medicare Prescription Drug Plans.
- Helps cover the cost of prescription drugs.
- Each plan can vary in cost and drugs covered.
Medicare Annual Enrollment Period
Have You Done Your Yearly Medicare Plan Review?
The Area Agency on Aging of Central Texas (AAACT), the designated State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) for Bell County, will be available to meet with Medicare beneficiaries concerning health and prescription drug plan options for 2016.
Bring the following information with you:
- Medicare Card
- List of Medications & Dosage
- Preferred Pharmacy
- Household Income
The AAACT will screen Medicare beneficiaries concerning eligibility for Low-Income Subsidy (LIS – also known as Extra Help).
For More Information, Please Call: